Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

5 Lessons learned this week....

1. Front top baby teeth like to come out in pairs. Ansley lost the one (see post below) and then about a day later, while she was at school, she managed to pull out the one right next to it. "I just pulled and it came right out, Mama."

2. Despite starting the day out with a ticket (ugh - giant headache - ugh, ugh, ugh - I can't even type about it yet)
I was reminded several times that there are more important and worthy things out there than my inconvenience of dealing with a certain less than nice state trooper. Praying for several friends with some major issues.
~ And here is my random tangent from this particular section of my post. While I do believe that we should not sweat the small stuff, I do not believe that we are expected to just suck it up and never show a sign of sadness, frustration or disappointment. I do not believe God is indifferent to the small things. Now should they ruin our whole day? Cause us to lose countless nights of sleep? Allow us to lose sight of the needs of others? Absolutely not. But it is ok to vent or talk or fuss - whatever you want to call it. God is ok with that. I think we should be too. Sometimes our problems are not as serious as an ill child or a decision about an aging parent or a job  loss or other tough situation, but God cares nonetheless and so should we. My mama says, "Let it go, Lettie. Let it go." And these are wise words. Vent, breathe, let go, breathe. No on to our regularly scheduled list of lessons from the week.

3. You do not need a kickstand when you have training wheels. Not only do you not need one, you physically can not place a kick stand on a bike with training wheels. Not even a spiderman bike belonging to a certain little four year old boy who resides here with us. This is most aggravating to said little boy. Sissy has a kickstand (no training wheels mind you) so he should have one. My money is on him riding without training wheels sooner than later. We shall see.

4. It matters a lot in life whether or not you have a mama(or dad or other parental type figure) who loves you. Woah - this is some deep stuff here. But let me try to explain my crazy thinking. I spent time this week looking at negatives (like the real negatives - the ones used for a 100 years before digital drowned them out less than 9 years ago) and many of these pictures are of my mom, my grandmother and my greatgrandmother. I am still sad that I did not get to know them as much as I would have liked as my grandmother and greatgrandmother passed away when I was a child. But looking at the pictures shows me where I come from. Where Ansley comes from. Strong women. Who loved their children. Loved them for who they were and for the success they knew was inside them. "you come from good stock" my mama told me. I believe it. I can see the good stock in those pictures. They loved their children enough to want the best for them. Not in a crazy "toddlers and tiaras way where the parents live their own happiness through their children" but in a way that sets high expectations for success. Not success financially or with status - but success as a person who helps others, takes care of their responsibilities and who wants their children to be happy and confident.

5. You must cook pole beans for a long time. Don't be scared. you are not overcooking them. Just cook and then cook some more. And then yum. Yeah for me.

1 comment:

aeb said...

Great lessons!!!!