Total Pageviews

Monday, August 31, 2009

Thoughts from Ansley

A recent conversation between Ansley and I in the car. She seems to do her best thinking while I am driving her around.

Ansley: I love you mama

Me: I love you too

Ansley: And I love Daddy

Me: And Daddy loves you too

Ansley: And I love God too, but....

Me: But what?

Ansley: I love you and daddy more than I love God. Does God mind?

Me: Um....well, no, God does not mind. God knows your heart.


I really wasn't sure how to answer that question. I did run it by our friend Chris (who also happens to be a minister so I was thinking he might have inside info on this particular topic) and he gave me a good idea on how to talk with Ansley about this topic so here is what I said to her:

Picture a dresser that you might have in your bedroom. The top drawer is your love for your mom or your dad. The middle drawer is your love for your family. The bottom drawer is your love for your friends. But the dresser itself IS God's love - God's love is big enough to hold all the love you have for friends and family. You don't love mom or dad "more" - you love them through the love you have for God.
She liked that explanation and seemed satisfied.

Whew - we got through that question. Now I get to wait for the next one!

3 comments:

MBH said...

You are the best mom!!! Your answer was a great one, and I loved the way your friend explained the dresser thing! Too cool. I hope I remember it for Peyton! My goodness you have a deep thinking child! :)

A said...

ohhhh...great analogy!!! will have to remember that one.

Ellis said...

Hey Lettie, I saw your post on my facebook wall, but I can't access it at school. Can you send me an email? I'll get back to you about tailgating stuff- it's so much fun! I've been thinking about what I want to make for the games this year... my email address is ellis.passmore@gmail.com