Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 27, 2011

ATR

"So how long have you been running?" I hear that a lot lately. And when I try to tell people that I am NOT, in fact, a runner - they do not seem to believe me. Well, let me tell you :  I am not a runner. Im not! I am not one of those lean, muscular runners with 0% body fat who think nothing of running 10 miles today and 15 tomorrow. I have to work at it. I do not run everyday. But I do cardio of some type 3-4 times a week. Running (when it is not 100 degrees outside) is just one of those things.

I do want to lose some more weight (don't most people?) so that is part of my motivation. A lot of my motivation comes from a combination of things. I love running with Shannan and Amy - my two coworkers who have run lots and lots of 5ks with me in the past year or two. I love trying to beat my time from previous races (I do have a competitive streak in me for sure). and I really want to stay healthy. I want to have good blood pressure, a decent weight and good cholesterol and sugar levels. I want to be able to play with my kids and be active with them. I like them to see me participate in physical activity. I hope it helps them to stay healthy as they grow.

And to clear up a few things : Running is NEVER, I repeat NEVER fun to begin with. But you do get there. When I have not run much in a few months (b/c of holidays or the heat of an Alabama summer) it is truly NOT fun to get back out there. That is why I try to make the most of spring and fall. There are LOTS of people who sign up for 5k and 10ks who do not run the whole time (like yours truly).
I do not run for a solid length of time. I break it up. I run as far as a can, then walk a minute or two, and then start back up. I never really liked the couch to 5K thing. I just run and listen to how my body feels. The girls I run with and I will say - "Lets try to make it to that street sign." and then just go from there. And we keep moving.
Did you now most runners are actually pretty nice people? Those TRUE runners - the ones who have finished the 5K or 10K while you are still huffing and puffing about half way though - the ones who have run back to where you or a family member are - saying "good job - keep going - you are almost there." They mean those things they are saying. 5Ks and 10Ks have no limits on who participates. There are people there of all ages, sizes, shapes and abilities. All trying to get to the finish line. All encouraging each other and sharing worried glances at upcoming hills or small smiles at the sight of a finish line.

When I crossed the finish line for the Azalea Trail Run 10K yesterday, Stephen turned to my mom and said, "My mommy "loozed!" Do you think she will be sad?" My mom explained to him that I did not lose - that just finishing was a big deal and I think he understood as best he could. This is a good life lesson, right??? Seems lots of us forget that though. To get out there and try.

When I first started "running", my brother would tell me, "Remember, Lettie. 99% of the people in the US are asleep in their beds right now, or laying on the couch or making excuses. You got up and tried." This meant a lot to me. It meant a lot that he believed I could do it. That it was worth me getting up and trying.

So, if you say you aren't a runner...then I am in the same boat you are.I still have to stop and walk. I still have more weight to lose. I still have LOTS and LOTS of room for improvement.  But I try nonetheless. And yesterday was a perfect spring Mobile day for the annual Azalea Trail Run. And the crazy thing? I actually enjoyed the run! Who knew that was even possible?  Sign up for a 5K. If you are in Mobile, I will join you. They really are a good way to jump in and you will probably be surprised by how well you do.

4 comments:

MBH said...

I think you are a great runner! I just wish I could run with you and your friends. It sounds like a fun group of girls and I am jealous I am not in your photo. :( I looked back at my time in the AT from when I was 27 and childless and I was almost FIFTEEN minutes faster then. I,like you, am just proud of myself for not sleeping in. I saw Melia at 5Guys the other night. She looks great and it made me miss you!

MBH said...

PS- Sure wish I had thought to leave Peyton with Ansley when I passed them in the beginning. :) I was so scared someone was going to kick me out of the race because of the stroller, but nobody said anything to me. I have never known them to announce no strollers, and my mom usually pushes him in the 5K.

Lettie said...

Morgan, You can run with us anytime! Just know you are faster than we are :)
I miss you too! And Melia does look great. She is a great mama. And considering you pushed P in the stroller, I say you are THE WOMAN!! :) But of course, Ansley would have loved to have P with her too. See you soon I HOPE.

aeb said...

Lettie ~ I love this post (I am working on mine right now!)!!! Let's run together sometime! I saw you at the beginning of yesterday's race... and cheered you on (although, not with an awesome poster like your mom and Ansley had!)! I am inspired by you, and I know others will be, as well (especially after reading this entry!)! Love you!!!