Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 23, 2011

splendid

So secretly I feel like someone much more sophisticated this week. Like I'm on "holiday." That I have gone to a "cottage at the seashore" like someone would have done decades ago and then written about it using words like splendid and gentile and sterling.
Not a depressing story where I walk for miles along the beach having tragic thoughts of regret of a long lost love (because frankly I have all my loves here with me and they still seem to like me as of yet) But a story about a girl - or rather - who am I kidding - a woman (is that what I am?) who has moved her family to this yellow house for a few weeks so that we can rediscover something about ourselves or remember the importance of loving each other or perhaps even the meaning of life. In reality we are still who we were before - Jamey has watched a little ESPN this morning, Ansley has baked peach muffins with my mom, and Stephen has refused to change out of his Spiderman pajamas.
So Bthere has been no great awakening or awareness over here on the island. But we have learned a few things though and here is our list:
1. A blacksmith has a very important job. After watching the demonstration yesterday at Fort Gaines, Stephen was very impressed. Although he was a little disenchanted to learn that after the blacksmith made a bullet, no one would be shooting it out of a gun. As Jamey and I are not really "gun" people (I am guessing you can understand what that means) I don't know really know where this fascination comes from...but that is perhaps another post....
2. There is a green light made by some guy in Missouri (I think) that you can put down under the water to attract fish. The Green Monster Fishing Light is the name of it. The fish SWARM around this light. Its almost a tad creepy - a green light glowing in the darkness of the black waters at night with hundreds of fish of swarming around it. The first night with the light out - TONS of fish. Second night - No fish. Jamey said the word on the street was something scared all the fish out of the water. Something NON human. Um...what does that even mean? A shark? An Alligator? a gigantic fish??? I am not much of a scaredy cat about most things - but this does make me a little apprehensive about letting my two 40 pound children bob around in the water this morning. I guess the mysterious water creature is gone - as boats, people, crabs, birds and fish are active in and around the water this morning. I would just rather live in denial about such things I suppose.
3. My dog is a chicken. And the people who live across the street from this yellow house also have a dog who is named Tilly. Their Tilly is not a chicken. I am hoping Tilly the Brave rubs off on Tilly the Chicken.  I don't want a vicious dog - but at least one who doesn't dive between my legs at the first sign of something unexpected.


Off now to bike a bit since the storms from last night have made for a cooler day. 

No comments: