Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 19, 2009

I think it is starting...

I am afraid it has started and I think I knew it was coming, but the arrival is nonetheless a little nerve wracking.....My children are fighting with each other. They are tattling on each other. They are arguing over who gets what.

My mom laughed at me today...told me I had it coming. Surely Luke and I NEVER fought?!?! Right???

Stephen has really become his own little person in the past few months. He knows what he likes and is not so easily bossed around by his older sister. Not long ago he would happily comply with her requests for him to "be the baby" or "the student in school" or "the boy who checks you out at the grocery store" ( a dream job for Ansley). But no more.

We are also seeing the following situation over and over:
Ansley picks up a book. (1 of maybe 300 on our shelves)
Stephen wants THAT book and no other will suffice.
Ansley gives Stephen that book.
Ansley picks up her tea set.
Stephen wants the tea set and must have it NOW.
Ansley frowns but hands Stephen the tea set as he throws down the book he so desperately "needed" one minute earlier.
Ansley picks up her crayons.....well, you get the idea. She does pretty well for a little while but then she loses her patience and I don't blame her. I try not to expect her to be a little adult...she is 5 and should not have to share everything as soon as Stephen screams for it. So we all 4 learn as we go. Teaching Ansley how to balance kindness with fairness. Teaching Stephen that screaming will not always get you what you want (although sometimes it might). Knowing when to let them figure it out on their own and when to step in....I will let you know when Jamey and I figure it all out.

No comments: