Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

catching our breath...

I feel like we are ending the summer in light speed over here. I have GOT to shop for Ansley's school supplies. She is not one who likes to wait until the last minute. We are also going to miss her orientation when we are in Florida next week. I have not mentioned this to her and I may just forgo that conversation completely. She would not be happy. And as much as she is excited about 1st grade, I kind of feel like my kids are in a summer coma. We have such a crazy schedule. We may get the urge to get Krispy Kreme about 9pm, so we all go. We sleep in. We watch movies. We spend hours in the afternoon channel surfing or coloring or reading books. The shock of a school schedule is going to be hard on us all.

I have a new approach to school mornings this year. I am cutting tv in the before school hours. In the past few years, I turn on cartoons and sort of let them watch until they wake up a little more. But I feel like I have to do jumping jacks in front of the television to get them to actually eat some breakfast. So this year - no tv until they are dressed and fed. I am hoping this will make for a smoother morning. Mornings really aren't that bad - and usually if they are stressed it is b/c I just plain got up late.

But one thing I feel VERY strongly about is that the last thing my kids will hear from me as I drop them off each morning is something positive. I have worked car pool enough in the morning to have memorized the faces of children who have spent the car ride to school being completely ignored or yelled at about every little thing under the sun. And its children from all backgrounds. Those who ride to school in a nice SUV with their initials monogrammed on their backpacks and hairbows and also those who ride in a rusty old car filled with cigarette smoke and mom's current boyfriend. This really turned into a tangent - but I think this is why I want to be where I am professionally. I want to have the freedom to work with these children and assure them someone cares what they have to say. And to ensure they hear at least one positive thing each day. I work with the best teachers around - encouraging and patient, willing to hug a child who has not bathed in days and who may or may not actually be wearing clothes that fit even a little bit.

But we have a few more days of summer and We are looking forward to a family wedding next Thursday in Fort Lauderdale. With a stop in Orlando (not going to Disney World though if you can believe it) we should have a nice trip.
We had a great time in Savannah and Charleston. It was good to see Luke and Sara. The kids always jump right back into his arms no matter how long we have been apart and I am thankful for that. I will post some pictures from the trip soon.
For now - I am off to bed - registration comes early tomorrow morning.....

2 comments:

aeb said...

You make my heart smile, Lettie. You are such a beautiful person, a wonderful friend, and a very special mom. You make the world so much brighter. Thank you :)

MBH said...

Awww!!! I am going to miss you once you go back to school. Your last week to do aerobics with me you will be out of town. :( I am glad you have had a fun summer, though. The students are blessed to have you as their counselor and smiling face in the mornings!