Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 11, 2010

The left side of the tracks....

We are home late from the last Jags game of the season. It was lots of fun this year - tailgating, parades, lots of great food on the menu - This has really been a great thing for the Univ of South Alabama. Jamey and I both graduated from USA for our undergrad and our graduate degrees - and through Sallie Mae and alumni association dues- we still feel a strong connection. As we were leaving Ladd tonight, they were directing traffic away from the stadium toward Michigan Avenue. "I have no idea where we are." My west mobile born and bread husband tells me. "Keep going." I tell him. "We will hit the interstate in just a few minutes."
From the backseat Ansley asked, "How come Daddy doesn't know which way we are going?"
"Because mommy is from this part of town and I'm not. I grew up on the right side of the tracks." Jamey said.
"So mommy is from the left side of the tracks?" Stephen asks. Um - yes. I guess I am. Raised down Navco in the 36605 zip code - Dunbar for middle school - Murphy for High School - after school hours at the Dauphin Island Parkway library near the cemetery. Years spent in these areas mean I am way more comfortable than most in certain areas. I may not can name every street, but I know where I am and where I am going. I have never feared the downtown area. In fact, I really like it actually. In another life I could see myself living in the downtown area. Maybe when the kiddos have moved on to their own things.

A few random things are on my heart tonight:
1. My brother and his precious wife. heroes - both of them. Thinking of them this Veterans Day.
2. My sweet friend Kelly. Her daddy is having some health issues and he lives a long, long way from her.
3. My mama - who cares for so many. Who deserves so much more than life has given her. I could never have asked for a better mama.

We celebrated Stephen's birthday this past week.  Lots of good pictures to come soon.

2 comments:

'BOTB said...

Aw...thanks girl. I'm just now catching up on blog reading. I appeciate all of your kind words and support from you and your momma. I'm headed down next weekend. Hugs to you and the rest of your cute little family!

MBH said...

Love, that...left side of the tracks! Whenever I hear Navco Rd, I always think of you! I only know the area around your mom's house, but Dad knows the rest pretty well.