Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Why I love my kid. Or. The truth about Easter Egg hunts.

to start, we are on the countdown. 4 weeks or so until D-day. Sometimes I am ready for her to be here NOW. Sometimes it scares me to death. Not having her I mean,  but rather the whole OMG I have three kids thing.

But for now, we wait. And we are excited.

My kids are definitely their own little people. Very different in many ways, but also very similar in personality. One clear example of this is their general opinion on the topic of Easter Egg hunts.
As in, Stephen flat out thinks there is a better way to do them.
In his folder from school today, I found an invitation to a schoolwide breakfast and Easter Egg hunt.
Me: Would you like to go, Stephen?
Stephen: No. I mean, I will go eat. But I am not gonna hunt anything.
Me: But, why? It will be fun I think.
Stephen: No. Kids run around and grab the eggs and then say who has the most. I will go to eat. I don't want to hunt in that kind of egg hunt.
Me: What kind of egg hunt would you like?
Stephen: I like egg hunts where I can see the egg far off. It would be blue or green. Not pink or purple. I would see it way over there (he lifts his little hand and points his finger off in the distance) and I would run to get it like a cheetah. And no one would beat me to it. And I would not take their eggs while they were running either.

I am not sure sometimes how I got so lucky to have this boy here with me. 


In all honesty, he did participate in one egg hunt last year, and he did fine. But the church Easter Egg hunt is kind of a special event. There is an ABUNDANCE of eggs and typically each kid has an adult assigned to him or her to make sure that their kid becomes neither the kid knocking others over for eggs or the kid being knocked over. It is the least stressful egg hunt I have ever seen and he did fine and enjoyed himself very much. But I suppose the thought of competing with kids on 5 different grade levels is not very appealing to him. I can't say I blame him much.

So we may go for the pancakes, and I may offer to let him participate a few more times just to give him the option.

But I love this little boy just as he is. Running like a cheetah across a field of green grass (Time me, mama. See how fast I am gonna run.) His eyes set on the prize a bright blue Easter egg. My heart, outside of me, running with his every step. (Yes, baby, you are fast. You are fast and you are good.)

2 comments:

MBH said...

Your thoughts on the baby mimic mine....excited, but scared to death at times. Stephen is the sweetest boy! His take on Easter egg hunts is so true!

Ellis said...

Speaking of Egg Hunts, when is FBC having theirs? I am thinking about maybe bringing G and asking Lydia if she wants to bring Wm. Our church is having ours after Palm Sunday service and covered dish lunch... and I think G will be more ready to nap than to hunt! :)