Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 3, 2012

 We are still getting used to having another little one around, but life is returning to our "new" normal. While I type this, Molly James is having a most excellent morning nap. Key to a most excellent morning nap? (and any other nap and nighttime sleeping?) Swaddle and white noise. When we got just the right combination of these two things, MJ was happy to give us a little more sleep. We are far from "sleeping through the night." but that is fine with me. She is tiny. Her stomach is tiny. And I am happy to nurse her frequently right now. I am an experienced enough mama to know that this newborn stage is fleeting. She is focusing her eyes better and better these days. Turning toward noises. When I look in her eyes, I can almost see a smile wanting to appear while I talk to her. She is four weeks old today. Sweet baby.

My other two sweet babies are doing well also. Ansley and I attempted a short run to Target with MJ after piano this week. MJ was not pleased to say the least. Public places are just not for her. I can feed her right before, wear her, take her in while she is asleep - doesn't matter. The general consensus of people I have talked to is that she feels overstimulated in places like Target or Winn Dixie or even church last night. While Ansley and I were about half way through a very short Target trip, MJ was letting everyone know that she was unhappy about being there. I held, I shushed, I rocked, I whispered. Then, I gave up. Put Ansley is charge of buggy pushing, and she and I completed the shopping in Supermarket Sweep time. I perfected the art of not making eye contact. Ansley, however, was unbothered by the screaming. Completely happy to help me and continue on with our conversation.
"Babies cry, mama."  she told me.
"yes, they do." I replied.
And in my heart I thought, well, there is my lesson for the day, straight out of the mouth of my 8 year old. She didn't care that people were looking (side note- most were kind, I didn't notice many glares.) She was happy to go about her business with Molly James a part of our little shopping team. That is my Ansley. Matter of fact, does what needs to be done, helpful and calm. Sweet Girl.

Stephen had a soccer game Sunday afternoon. There is a quote you hear frequently that becoming a mother means putting your heart outside your body. Oh My Goodness. How true this is with my little man. He was oh so happy to be there. Running, drinking his gatorade, giving us a thumbs up while he is out on the field.... Jumping up and yelling, "YES!" when his little team scored a goal. When I watch him I can feel my heart in my throat.  He is not one to jump in the pile and fight for the ball. He is one to enjoy chasing the ball though. His sweet little attitude about his games makes me want to just freeze him at this age. Jamey and I constantly look at each other when he talks to us - the words go unspoken between us, but we could both easily tear up at the sweetness of his comments and his general happiness to just be who he is.
"Guess what, mama." I hear this a lot. I love it.
 "What, baby?" I ask him.
"Today at school we were walking to lunch and I forgot for a minute and thought we were walking to mass." At this he laughs and laughs. I laugh too - and try to memorize his little face and how he sounded telling me about this little moment in his day.
Sweet Boy.

Here are a few recent pictures....











1 comment:

MBH said...

How sweet a post! Of course, Ansley would have fruit in her yogurt at Cold Snap....love it!