Total Pageviews

Monday, February 27, 2012

memory

I don't know why this moment popped into my head this week, but it has. Perhaps because I watched Jamey deal with this Target mess that some of you know about. (side note - both of us went to bed Saturday night angry with Mr. Weekend Target Manager. Rise and shine on Sunday, head to church, and the sermon was on anger. Geez. Felt a tad guilty that I *might* have been wishing in my head that Mr. Weekend Target Manager went out to a flat tire on his car that night )

 Anyway - Jamey handled it as it should have been handled, of course. Those of you who know him are not surprised. Whereas I was tempted to yell, cry and stage a sit in, he was patient and it paid off.

It reminded me of another time when I saw this quality, one of many that I love about him. And you guys, I am sure, get tired me talking about him. But man, I do love my husband. And I don't think there is anything wrong with saying it. 

If you have ever birthed a baby, this may be a familiar scene to you. If you haven't, well, bare with me. (Nothing gross coming up, I promise). There comes a point in the process of baby arriving that mama begins to think, I just can't do this. There is no way I am going to be able to get this baby from inside of me and out into the world. I just can't. The nurse can keep telling me to push, the doctor can tell me to focus on the contraction and that I am doing exactly the right thing....but for a moment, that I am sure in reality flashes in the blink of an eye, yet stretches out to eternity for a laboring mama, for that moment, I just knew I was going to fail at the task at hand. Baby was not coming out. She would indeed live inside me forever.

And that is when it happened for me. And I am sure it has happened for other mamas time and time again. The man I love most in the world. The man who was standing there with me in my most vulnerable, unappealing wild moment, leans in to my face, takes my chin in his hands, tucks my hair behind my ears and whispers, "You got this. You are already doing it. Keep going. I am right here."

While I know in my head that baby was coming no matter who was there in that room with me....in my heart there was no one in the world who could have gotten me to the finish line but him. I could have walked on water if that is what he told me I could do.

I realize that giving birth is not even remotely in the same category as a small victory in the returns department of Target. But really, it is just another sign of who he is. How blessed am I.

 “Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life.”
― Brian Andreas

1 comment:

MBH said...

Love this memory. You've got a good man. I'm glad that Erich has that calm, cool collective quality about him too or else I would never get out of some tough situations without making a but of myself. My tendency is to feel like you did!