Total Pageviews

Monday, November 28, 2011

So you may have heard the news...


We have been up to a little something lately...our little something is about 19 weeks these days and weighs almost 10 ounces. And, as you probably read above this, or on the world of facebook, our new little project happens to be a feisty little girl.
We let the kids skip school today to go to the ultrasound with us. Ansley of course was rooting for a girl while Stephen was waving a blue flag. But baby, however, had no initial interest in showing off "the goods" as my sweet friend KPH termed it several months ago. We got healthy and normal measurements on head, limbs, back, face. etc - but little miss sat with her legs crossed under her, completely uninterested in sharing her news. The ultrasound tech (who I think was having as much fun as we were with the kids in there) poked, bounced, tickled and prodded - the baby pulled her legs in tight under her bottom. The tech went back to measuring other things, moved quickly back to side of the crossed legs and caught her in moment with her guard down. She was, indeed, a little girl! And no sooner had the tech shared the news (and at this point Ansley is bouncing up and down shouting, "Its a girl!Its a girl!") than little miss priss had recrossed her legs back in her original position. My first thoughts after that turned to my little man. I see a serious little face - "What do you think, buddy?" Pinching his lips together so as not to reveal the smile shining out of his whole face, "I guess it'll be alright if it is a girl." He tells me. He then gives me a high five.
What a morning of blessings - a morning that started out by a) my car not wanting to stay on and b) Stephen randomly throwing up in Jamey's truck on the way to the ultrasound and then seemingly healed of whatever had momentarily ailed him. As anyone with kids will tell you, sometimes there is just unexplained throwing up when kids are around. I am not sure what that was all about, but we made it through the appointment with no other incidents (and believe me, I WAS praying through that whole appointment as I had not thought about grabbing a plastic bag from the truck in case we were faced with it again.)
My car seems to have healed itself (sigh of relief) and Jamey just ended up saying - forget it - and just took the day off with us.
We have obviously known for a while that baby #3 was on the way. We waited until the end of the first trimester to tell family. Several people have stated how they could never have kept it a secret that long. But my motivation did not lie in any lack of excitement - but rather a mama's instinct to protect the hearts of the two little ones already living in our house and filling our lives with love. If this baby, this pregnancy early on, was not meant to carry to full term, then I did not want any of that sadness to fill the hearts and thoughts of the two babies I have here with me now. We are grateful that this baby girl appears healthy and growing. And God has brought me to a place where this baby is a part of me and a part of this family no matter what happens or doesn't happen ever. She is my daughter. One of my two daughters  who belong here with my son. Three children, three blessings,  for Jamey and me.

I have a dear friend Sarah - who at this moment is on the other side of the world with her precious family. She messaged me this thought a few weeks ago and it has resonated with me. She told me, "This is your family's baby. Not just a baby for Jamey and you, but  a baby for the four of you to welcome and love."

This is the Duke family's latest home improvement project. A project of love and adventure.

We are ready, thankful, and oh, so excited.

1 comment:

'BOTB said...

The Home Improvement project lives on! My heart is swelling for you and your growing little family.